Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The rest of the academy seems to know?

Hobson's illumination of three epistemologies operating within a writing center is also a pretty accurate description of those operating in my classroom, including the failing of any one theory to inform my teaching. I disagree, however, with his assertion that "the rest of the academy seems to know from where they came intellectually and to where they are headed" (107). Every graduate class I've taken has presented a wide variety of theories and epistemological assumptions that have been influenced by philosophical, social and political imperatives (okay, maybe I've read Nan Johnson too closely). It used to be, every time I read about a theory I would think, "Okay, this is the answer" only to find the next one made sense too. At this point, I've learned to embrace flux, maybe even to relish it. It makes me question a lot of the assumptions upon which I used to operate, and be inquisitive (and maybe suspicious) about anything about which I (or anyone else) am absolutely certain. Perhaps I am now better able to model the kind of inquiry that I hope to foster in my students.

1 comment:

tmevans said...

I used to think there was some kind of certainty out there, but studying theory has disabused me of that notion. It's a relief in some ways because it gives me more authority to have an opinion,although knowing there is really no certainty makes me careful about having opinions that are too rigid.