Monday, May 26, 2008

Purdue's OWL

As I was reading these articles this weekend, I couldn't but think about Purdue's OWL each time the texts mentioned an OWL. Carino writes "my fear is rather that such a center will become the benchmark for judging others and the desired norm in contexts where it may not be as appropriate" (513). While he was not speaking of Purdue's OWL, I couldn't help think that in some way Purdue's OWL has become a benchmark in which all other OWLs compare themselves to. What would be the point of creating a website for a writing center (other than to let students on campus know where to find the writing center and perhaps give email info.) if Purdue already contains so much?

1 comment:

jrgm said...

I see it the same way; however, maybe some students would feel reassured by having handouts created by their own institution?