Thursday, May 29, 2008

At the Point of Need

I know that this sounds like the last book we read; however, I see an application to one of Coogan's statements: "What really failed . . . in Hairston's view was not so much current-traditional rhetoric but practitioners of current-traditional rhetoric: 'untrained teachers' in English departments . . . . (xiii). Later on the next page Coogan identifies these practitioners as "part timers" and "adjuncts". When I began teaching for Taylor and Indiana Wesleyan Universities, I had only taught 3 classes of adult professional composition classes. The reason given for dropping me was that I didn't have enough English classes and they were starting the accreditation process. Of course, not having enough English classes wasn't an issue before because APS was experiencing need. Even more surprising was that I was immediately picked up by TU and IWU - still without any education in teaching English classes or writing. I saw my need immediately and continued my education. But the point I want to make is that as an adjunct I was available at their point of need.

No comments: