Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Knowing Technology

I have always accepted that I need to know, at least minimally, the programs students would be using to create multimodal texts. Even as a tutor, I felt limited when I could not help with the technology part of student construction. Sheridan has given me the first really sound, logical reason why knowing the technology is important.

On 342 when Sheridan is discussing how a student wants to use a photograph for a project, things finally clicked for me. "A multiliteracy consultant who knows photo-editing application can talk with her client about what kinds of revisions are possible, can guide her client through the process of making those revisions, and can talk about the rhetorical effectiveness of those revisions once made."

I had never thought this clearly about the rhetoric of lightening or darkening an image, and knowing how to do that to see that rhetorical significance is important. This just makes so much sense to me. Now I feel like I have a solid line of reasoning to support my intuition that knowing this technology is important.

No comments: