Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Fiction in the WC

After reading about how using fiction helped George, I wondered: can the writing center only be used for class assignments, or can students bring in anything they're working on? Would extra-curricular writing need to be taken to a writing group or club? I think it would be interesting to study further how academic writing could improve by efforts concentrated on something more recreational. I would assume that improvements in one would mean at least marginal improvements in the other, but I can also see a rift in the relationship between creative writing and academic writing.

2 comments:

sccrfn1 said...

I would assume that some students do bring in writing that is not directly related to an assignment. Once I had a student who was working on a newspaper article that she wanted to eventually publish. I'm wondering, though, if the writing center at Ball requires students to tell tutors which class and which assingment they are working on prior to the tutoring session.

Carolyn A. Jones said...

Michele, I would think that the writing center would be open to working with any writing that a writer brings in; after all, if the writing center claims to service any writer, any writing should be okay. North states that the center is for writers. I am wondering though if anyone who is working on a degree would have time to work on personal writing. I know that we should set aside time every day to write, but to be honest, I'm not writing the pieces I would be writing if I weren't so busy.