Monday, May 19, 2008

Peer Psychology 101

Is anyone else a little disturbed that Christine Murphy compares the tutor/student relationship to a therapist/client relationship? Is she devaluing psychotherapists or overestimating the ability of peer tutors? After all, therapists need, at minimum, a master's degree and a license to practice. I guess I'm wondering how many peer tutors experience "unconditional positive regard toward the client"and "an understanding of the client's internal frame of reference" (299). It seems a bit much to ask of an undergraduate tutor. As for students, I'm not sure they are the emotional wrecks depicted by the contention that they are in "a state of incongruence, being vulnerable or anxious" (299). It seems to be overstating their dilemma. The main similarity I see relates to the joke about how many psychologists it takes to change a lightbulb: only one, but the lightbulb has to want to change.

3 comments:

Brian Derico said...

I am a little uncomfortable with the comparison as well, but I wonder whether in my case my discomfort reveals that I have inappropriate hang-ups about therapy. Alternatively, I wonder if what Aristotle says about friendship in books VIII and IX of the Ethics might provide a useful metaphor for the tutoring relationship in writing centers. Aristotle says that there are three reasons one might like someone else. One might enter into a friendship with someone because he is good, because he is useful, or because he is pleasant. A perfect friendship is premised on good character and features reciprocal good will. Imperfect friendships, however, are those premised on the second and third motivations—that there is an advantage to be gained in the relationship. In a writing center it seems typical that the tutor seeks to be the first kind of friend while the tutee has entered into the relationship seeking advantage—and Aristotle believes that this must inevitably lead to conflict.

Karen Neubauer said...

This was definitely an essay where I needed to practice bell hook's opening up a space in my mind to consider the ideas, and not rush to judgment if I didn't agree with everything. I agree with some of her points, especially recognizing there is a relationship going on and her last sentence on 299 about "interactional dynamics." I also think she overgeneralizes and idealizes both the tutorial and therapeutic relationships. I wonder, frankly, if she's ever experienced a therapeutic relationship in that she doesn't even address --and even fosters -- the stigmatization of both as fixing the person who needs help. We're back to the illness metaphors!

Carolyn A. Jones said...

Even though we, even in the teaching profession, aren't psychologists, we can apply simple practices that would encourage learning. Tutors as well could benefit from learning how to enteract with others better.