Friday, May 23, 2008

Intuition

Again and again Nelson comes back to the idea of "intuition" aiding in the work of the WTC. I noticed this especially in her discussions of Dianna's work with Carmen. Her intuition told her how to help this student progress before the theory in the book was created. I know we have already talked a great deal about how this may simply be a method of making all her data "fit" the theories she created by looking at them. I don't want to belabor that point again.

What I am more interested in is this idea of how intuition works in the writing center. In my reading of Nelson, she attributes much, maybe most, of what tutors do as being intuitive. This seems to be why reflection is needed: to understand what happens "naturally." I agree that some of the work done in the WC is intuitive. You sometimes have to read students quite intuitively to understand what they are not saying or asking for. But I have a problem thinking the balance of the work is intuitive. That seems to negate the training and expertise that tutors develop.

What do we think the role of intuition is in most WC situations?

1 comment:

tmevans said...

I think it depends on how you define intuitive. I'm not sure it's so much magical thinking or some kind of natural ability as it is a way of recognizing familiar patterns, whether those be facial expressions, attitudes, behaviors, tone of voice, and even writing style. Once you start recognizing patterns as having meaning rather than being random, you become more intuitive--but only if you are paying attention. I probably didn't answer your question because I got distracted by what intuitive means. Sorry!