Friday, May 16, 2008

The How

Murphy discusses how "despite all of Lunsford's praise for the transfer of control from teacher/tutor/student to the group, Lunsford, like other theorists, never makes quite clear how this transfer of power is to occur and exactly how it will be mediated within the constructs of American education" (115). We all know this complaint is nothing new or exciting. It is often the case that theory provides no method for putting it into action. What I find ironic about this complaint is that it is the one I had about all of the readings today. I found myself asking, "ok, now what?" after each article. Have I missed the call to action in these articles? Did my admittedly tired reading affect what I got out of them? Or do these article focus so strongly on what is wrong that they never quite get to what is right, what should happen, and how to get there?

No comments: