Monday, June 2, 2008

Racial Diversity

I've noticed that no one but Karen even mentioned racial diversity. I have been hesitant to bring it up because I fear that I might be misunderstood. Any way here is what I have to say: Have you ever been on a diet? I have. Once I have made up my mind to lose that weight, all I can think of was food. I just couldn’t get it off my mind. Weaver states this about racial diversity: “We do have a responsibility as White writing center practitioners to manage diversity, but we need to be honest about how and why we do it” (89). How can we stop thinking about diversity when the government, administration, teachers, peers seem to accentuate it? In a textbook I have used called In the Presence of Others an author who is black argues against affirmative action because it diminishes his people; it makes them look as though they are incapable of competing for jobs based on ability; therefore, they must be given preferential treatment. When we are hiring tutors to work in the writing center, ethnicity shouldn’t be a consideration. People either qualify or they don't. I wonder how much racial diversity plays into the hiring practices of writing center tutors.

No comments: