Sunday, June 8, 2008

I am pleased to have read the “Beat (Not) the (Poor) Clock” chapter in The Everyday Writing Center. My practice, when I have been in a position to choose, has been to make time for the things I value by limiting the accumulation of responsibilities that would take time away from the things I value. This, it probably goes without saying, is not one of the times of my life where I have much room to choose. The worst part about having too many responsibilities, I think, is things that I would under different circumstances count as enjoyable are transformed as if by alchemy into things that I have to do: I have to teach, I have to go to school, and I have to meet the needs of my family. There are parts of directing a writing center that interest me, but this is another part of the job that concerns me. I think that I might like to direct a writing center, and I know that I like to teach. I am afraid that trying to do both would turn both into things I have to do.

2 comments:

Carolyn A. Jones said...

When I lost my joy in teaching elementary, I quit. It wasn't that I didn't love teaching, but it became a chore for a variety of reasons. I really want to keep my perspective and stop putting so much pressure on myself. Sometimes I take on responsibility that I should leave with my students. Balance is necessary.

Emily Standridge said...

I understand what you are saying Brian, but I think that is the whole point of what they are promoting here: it doesn't have to become a chore if we don't make it that. For them, having the trickster attitude is enough to create or ensure joy where it might fade. I don't know how to keep that going, though.

I guess my point is that is a fear we all face, but we have to look at things in such a way that they don't become a chore. We have to learn what that view looks like for us as individuals, though.