Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Carnival Figure

I started reading the second chapter on Friday evening when my eyes were tired and I had a headache, so maybe that's why the Trickster reference started to annoy me after awhile. Okay, I get it! Today I revisited the Trickster, and it reminds me of Bakhtin's Carnival (of course, everything does these days because I'm writing a paper about it). The Trickster is a participatory character. Learning takes place for both tutor (or instructor) and student when the process is one of participation. In tutoring (or teaching) as spectacle, the person on stage is blinded by the footlights and can't even see the audience (student).

1 comment:

Emily Standridge said...

I never liked the trickster, so I too had a hard time with that chapter. I understand and (maybe) agree with their point, but I also go tired of hearing about it!